Are you seeking a healthy and tasty plant-based protein shake to add to your diet?
The Orgain Nutritional Shake is a top organic vegan protein drink that could be the perfect fit.
Let’s investigate if this shake is the ideal plant-based protein solution – examining its ingredients and nutrition, flavor, texture, user reviews, and more.
We first came across orgain when when writing our meal replacement shakes guide and really enjoyed its taste and consistency. But will it be up to our rigorous nutritional standard?
Let’s jump right in and find out!
About the brand- Orgain
At Orgain, you can find an array of healthy, organic and plant-based products to help you nourish and fuel your body. From meal replacement shakes and protein powders to nutritional bars, snacks, vegan drinks and sports nutrition products, they have something to suit any fitness and dietary needs.
Orgain was founded by Dr. Andrew Abraham. Having gone through a lengthy battle with cancer, he identified the need for a brand that sold all-natural, food-based ingredients, which motivated him to start Orgain.
All of their products are free of artificial ingredients, preservatives, and fillers. They are also gluten-free, soy-free, and non-GMO, so you can enjoy the very best in nutrition.
Overall, they are perceived as a trust-worthy brand, receiving a score of 4.6 on consumer affairs, with the biggest complaints begin the lack of flavors they offer
Orgain Organic Vegan Plant Based Nutritional Shake
This product contains a delicious blend of organic ingredients like filtered water, protein (organic pea protein and organic chia seeds), organic rice dextrins, organic cane sugar, organic natural flavors, organic high oleic sunflower oil, organic alkalized cocoa, and an organic vitamin & minerals blend that features sodium ascorbate, magnesium sulfate, zinc gluconate, di-alpha tocopheryl acetate, and more. Also, it has organic rice bran extract, tricalcium phosphate, trisodium phosphate, tripotassium citrate, potassium chloride, gellan gum, plus an organic fruit blend (with acai, apple, banana, blueberry, and raspberry) and an organic veggie blend (with tomato, spinach, beet, carrot, and kale). Lastly, there are natural flavors and mixed tocopherols (for freshness).
Some highlights from the ingredient list:
- Organic high oleic sunflower oil- It has become increasingly popular as a healthier oil option. Containing a higher concentration of monounsaturated fatty acids, this oil is thought to reduce the risk of heart disease. Additionally, it’s a great source of vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant that works to protect our cells. Although healthier than conventional sunflower oils, the calorie content of organic high oleic sunflower oil is still high, and one should consume it in moderation when enjoying a balanced diet.
- Organic alkalized cocoa- It isn’t just a tastier, brighter and less acidic alternative – it’s also a powerhouse of nutrition! This cocoa has been treated with an alkalizing agent, such as potassium carbonate, to reduce its natural acidity and make it more soluble. Due to the process, it’s not only more neutral in flavor, but loaded with antioxidants, minerals (including iron and magnesium), dietary fiber and low in saturated fat. With all these nutritional benefits, it’s the perfect addition to your daily diet!
- Organic Rice Bran- Packed with essential fatty acids, dietary fibers, vitamins, minerals, proteins, and polyphenols, you won’t find another ingredient with such a high-quality nutritional profile. And if that weren’t enough, it even provides natural antioxidants like tocotrienols and tocopherols, to help fight off free radical damage and inflammation. Ideal for improving digestion, reducing cholesterol, managing weight, and maintaining satiety, organic rice bran extract may also be beneficial in helping balance blood sugar levels, improve metabolism, and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. Don’t wait – incorporate organic rice bran extract into your diet today and experience the incredible health benefits!
- Tcopherols- These fat-soluble antioxidants play an essential role in maintaining overall wellbeing. Found in foods like nuts, seeds, fruits, and vegetable oils, they help protect cells and lipids from damage due to oxidation, while also boasting anti-inflammatory and anti-viral properties. Working together with other antioxidants, such as vitamin C or carotenoids, tocopherols create an impressive defense system to fight free radicals in the body. Numerous studies link diets high in tocopherols to a decreased risk of chronic diseases, such as heart disease and cancer. Further, tocopherols are also known to improve physical performance, lessen signs of aging, and bolster various mental health benefits. Strengthen your body, mind, and spirit with tocopherols!
- Organic fruit blend- This nutritious blend of acai, apple, banana, blueberry, and raspberry is a great choice for your diet. Acai provides antioxidants to help reduce inflammation and support heart health, Apple contributes Vitamin C and dietary fiber for immunity and digestion, Banana is a good source of potassium for healthy blood pressure, Blueberry has lutein and zeaxanthin to promote healthy eyesight, and Raspberry contributes folate, essential for prenatal development. So go ahead and fuel up with this tasty and vitamin-rich combination!
- Organic veggie blend- Packed with vitamins A, C, folate, and iron, this blend combines tomato, beet, carrots, kale, and spinach to give you all kinds of awesome health benefits. Lycopene and betalains in the tomato and beet help reduce inflammation, while the carrots and kale give you extra fiber and the spinach provides a hefty dose of calcium and magnesium. Enjoying this blend is a great way to keep your immune system strong, digestion on track, and overall health optimized!
How safe are the ingredients?
This ingredient list is generally considered safe for consumption and, in appropriate amounts, are unlikely to cause any issues.
This product contains a mix of natural and organic ingredients such as fruits, veggies, and plant-based protein, plus a vitamin and mineral blend that may help provide essential nutrients.
While these are generally considered to be healthy, one caveat to keep in mind is that it also contains organic cane sugar, which could add extra sugar to your diet – so it’s best to consume in moderation.
Source of protein:
The main sources of protein for this shake are organic pea protein and organic chia seeds.
Emerging as the latest plant-based protein source, organic pea protein is derived from yellow peas and is a great alternative for those looking for complete nutrition. Not only does it provide all of the essential amino acids for our bodies, but it is also an excellent source of iron, which can be beneficial for those who are sensitive to soy or dairy-based proteins.
Organic chia seeds are a good source of plant-based protein for vegans, as well as fiber, antioxidants, and omega-3 fatty acids.
Both these ingredients are organic certified, meaning that no synthetic pesticides or fertilizers were used, which is a huge plus for users going through health issues.
Macro and micro nutritients
A serving of the Orgain Nutritional Shake contains 250 calories and the following macronutrients:
- 8 grams of fat
- 10 mg of cholesterol
- 270 mg of sodium
- 28 grams of carbohydrates
- 16 grams of protein
This product could be a fit for weight maintenance or gain in some cases, as it contains moderate amounts of both carbs and protein, which are essential for building and restoring muscle.
Nonetheless, high fat and cholesterol levels may not be ideal for people with pre-existing health conditions like high cholesterol or heart disease.
If you’re hoping to shed those pounds, it’s best to concentrate on your overall calorie intake, and not just the macronutrients. If you’re looking to gain weight, we can recommend taking at least one serving of the orgain nutritional shake per day.
Side effects and recommendations
From our research, we can safely recommend this product without many concerns. It is made with non gmo products and contains a good mix of vitamins and minerals.
It is gluten free and certified organic, making it safe for people with sensitive digestion issues.
The orgain nutritional shake comes in two flavors: Chocolate and vanilla. Overall, users report that the taste is good. It is not too overwhelming or sweet, and the consistently for the chocolate flavour is more chunky than smooth.
This product currently only comes in a shake format and is not available in a protein powder format.
Many users with conditions such as cancer, spastic stomach and lactose intolerance report using the product as a safe and healthy alternative to other shakes with “dirtier” ingredient lists.
Some users complain of a formula / taste change. The previous formula “smooth chocolate”, seems to be preferred to the “creamy chocolate fudge” formula.
Used by many users battling cancer and other diseases to maintain or gain weight
The main selling point seems to be that it is made with fruit-derived ingredients rather than artificial ingredients
Where to buy
We recommend buying either directly from orgain, or through amazon.
However, please be advised that the product is often out of stock on amazon.
For offline sellers we recommend walmart and walgreens to avoid product defects and leakage.
In conclusion, Orgain Nutritional Shake is an excellent choice for those looking for a nutritious, organic and plant-based protein shake free of artificial ingredients, preservatives, and fillers.
With a delicious blend of high quality organic ingredients, such as filtered water, protein (organic pea protein and organic chia seeds), organic rice dextrins, organic cane sugar, organic natural flavors, organic high oleic sunflower oil, organic alkalized cocoa, and an organic vitamin & minerals blend, it’s no surprise that the product was rated 4.6 on Consumer Affairs!
The biggest complaint seems to be the lack of flavors they offer, but overall here at vegan smart shakes, we are happy to recommend the Orgain Nutritional Shake as a meal replacement or weight gainer shake that is safe for consumption for pretty much any type of person.
Anna is a 33-year-old registered dietitian based in Orlando. She received her Bachelor’s degree in Nutrition from the University of Pennsylvania. In her free time, Anna enjoys staying active through Crossfit and indulging her sweet tooth by baking. She is dedicated to helping her clients achieve their health and wellness goals through evidence-based nutrition advice and has spent the past 4 years writing for online publications on nutrition and fitness.